Escape Cabin Fever -- Attend the Illinois Forestry Association Region 2 winter tree identification workshop held on March 23rd at Carol Bryant’s Tree Farm, 7841 S. Panther Creek Road, Mt. Olive, Illinois. IFA directors Jake Hendee, Dan Schmoker, Jim Hynes and Carol Bryant will give their hands-on demonstration of Winter Tree ID using real three dimensional twigs and the key found in the “Forest Trees of Illinois”. You can bring 2 of your “What the heck is it?” twigs for our directors to key out. Attendance is limited to the first 20 who preregister at www.ilforestry.org. This event is open to the public and a free sandwich will be provided. Weather permitting, we will study tree bark in the woods in the afternoon. You can support our organization if you so choose by donating on the IFA website.
Please register for this event so that Carol can provide free lunch and bottled water.
Carol Bryant Tree Farm
7841 S. Panther Creek Road
Mt. Olive, IL 62069
Phone 618/444-3864 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Directions to Carol Bryant’s Timber - GPS: 39º06’23.9”N-89º45’34.4”W. Follow the Tree Farm signs. Phone: 618/444-3864. Email: email@example.com.
1) From I-55, exit at Litchfield and make a right (west) onto IL Rte 16 and travel 1.0 mi to County Line Road. There is a camping sign pointing left (south).
2) Travel on County Line Road south for 0.5 mi;
3) Turn right (west) onto Hornesby Road & travel 1.0 mi;
4) Turn left (south) onto Litchfield Trail & travel 3 miles.
5) Before you go up over the interstate there is a road to the right called East Panther Creek Road. Take E. Panther Creek to the right (west) for 1.7 mi and then south for 0.7 mi as S. Panther Creek. Carol’s driveway is the second one after the oil wells.
6) Carol’s corner has 2 mailboxes (7841 and 7845) and the blacktop makes a sharp left-hand turn to the left. Turn right (west) onto the gravel road at the mailboxes, cross the creek, come up the hill and you will see the Tree Farm sign pointing straight west toward the trees. Follow the road between the fields -- Carol’s house is way back in the timber to the southwest. It’s 0.8 mi to her house from the mailboxes. See the GPS above or call: 618/444-3864.
Or, Exit I-55 at Mount Olive and take Old US 66 north for 1.5 mi north to Mt. Olive Road.
Turn left (west) on Mt. Olive Road; left on Lake Ka-Ho Road; right on Fellin Drive. Follow the
Tree Farm signs.
Sleet or snow:
If Mother Nature frowns on the event at Carol’s on March 23, we plan to offer it again on March 30th at Jim Hynes’ farm outside Pleasant Plains, IL